Monday, December 26, 2005

under the veil of weathered twilight

The cold night-air hung listlessly in the soft moonlight.
Countless stars drifted in the sky's black ocean, beautiful in their serene stillness.

I closed my jaded eyes and took a slow deep breath.
Tired limbs ached in muted protest: it had been a trying road, but they had earned their rest.

Seeing me sitting alone in the vast barren Field of Thoughts, Silence decided to stay and keep me company.

The Cold firmed its hold on me; but my faded cloak held me close.

I was in no mood for a fire; I didn't want to get used to its fickle warmth.
Best I learned to get by without it.



Reason and Doubt had harried me through the day and, truth be told, they had beaten me soundly.
Further down the road, I knew Reflection and Despair howled for my blood.

But they were mere hound dogs.

It was Truth that I feared most; because I had seen myself in its reflection…and I did not like what I saw.

At least out here, I can find some small respite, even if only for a few fleeting moments.


I tried to drown out the call of the road and brought my wandering thoughts back to my side.

Gingerly, I tended to the wounds that I had picked up on my journey.

I grimaced as a few reopened.

It was a good thing no one was around to see me like this, I mused.

I knew there were a few inns a little farther down the road.
Yet another place full of strangers.

I'd rather take my chances out here; it's better than wandering aimlessly in the Sea of Nameless Faces.

The stars watched me with detached curiosity from their tranquil playground.

It was so peaceful here.

A coward's refuge, some would say.
Maybe it is.


I tried to rest, but Sleep has little patience with troubled minds, and so it kept its distance.



My thoughts strayed from my side and basked in the distant moonlight until Dawn’s arrival drew near.



Oh, how I hated the sunrise. But it always comes.

I shrugged in tired resignation, and a whispered curse escaped my lips.


Unsteadily, I got on my feet and slowly trudged back to the road away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home