Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Days In Black II

I woke with a start under a night-filled sky. The sun had not found me yet.

I had best get a good start, I thought. Hurriedly I set off towards the Hills of Yesterday, across those fields where Sleep chased down unwary travelers.

I arrived at the bottom of the Hill just as daylight bled through the dusty horizon. There sat a brave man who told me the City of Glass was expecting me; apparently, it had a few secrets of its own to share.

Taking in a deep breath, I set off for the City of Glass, but the hours were not my allies today. Through a brooding day I journeyed without rest, till the sun had little light left to share.

Full of worry, I hurried down to the end of that long road just to catch those last few rays of the mourning sun.


Under amber skies laced with wisps of velvet clouds, a pinch of the early stardust glittered down from the violet heavens.

I held the sunrays close and helplessly watched them die in my arms.

There in the Barren Plains I stood empty-handed as an unforgiving horizon watched on impassively. The horizon and I shared a challenging stare for the briefest moment, but I stole my gaze and turned my back on it in tired resignation.

Looking for shelter late into dusk, I lay my head down to rest under the Tree of Sorrows.

Taking stock of its uninvited visitor, the Tree denied offering me its most generous gift.

The gift of my regret was denied to me.

I told the Tree that, if it may be allowed, its gift was one that I would graciously accept; if only I could hold that Smile just once more.

But the Tree had nothing to offer me.

Seeing this, the Soft Grass offered me its modest comfort even as the Night Flowers judged the proceedings quietly.

The Dreamless Night was not a gracious host to me, and dawn awoke from its silent reverie to find me making ready to depart. The Night Flowers wished me farewell in their own colorless fashion.


The City of Glass was lifeless, as always. But those Sapphire Towers told me my reasons had long since fled this place. There was nothing for me there.

Silently I combed the crystal streets, gathering up the stray shards of cold Crimson; and set off once more on the road away.

Long was the journey back; many a thought I had believed lost forever fleetingly ruffled my hair, but they meant little to me now.

The road had never seemed longer.


Under jaded twilight, I found Home waiting patiently where I had left it, watching the road.

We greeted each other like old friends so often do, and under its trusted roof I took off my weathered mask.

And there I let merciful sleep overwhelm me, knowing the treacherous Sun would not chase me here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home